Thursday, November 20, 2014

Cars

We basically have a used car lot in our driveway. Which isn't a bad thing when one car goes down, we just use a different one! The Mini has been out of commission for a couple of weeks now. It needs a new clutch. It sat in the shop for a week, they wanted to charge around $2400 to fix it. Eric tried to make a deal with them to trade/purchase one of their newer Mini's they had for sale, but they wouldn't budge on their price. So Eric picked up his car. Unfixed. He's been calling around to get the price lower, he got it down to around $1600 at another place. They're waiting for parts to arrive from Buffalo. That might take awhile. So the Mini sits. We're afraid to use it. Why are Mini's so expensive to fix? They're so tiny!

Eric has been taking my car to work, it's the newest and most reliable. But it sucks in the snow. So we just invested in snow tires for it. The tires should be here in a couple of days, it'll be my birthday present. I've never had snow tires and I'm very excited about them. I almost want it to snow. (Not as much as Buffalo though, please!)

So, while Eric has been living in luxury with my Mazda, I've been using Alex's car when I need to go out. The 2004 Subaru with 149,000 miles on it. It is surprisingly, a very nice ride. Except for the brakes. I had to take it up today to get it inspected and held my breath the entire time. It needs new back brake pads and rotors, but it was good enough to pass inspection. Phew. He gave me an estimate, which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it's not a priority. So it can wait. It will most likely be stored for most of the winter, so it's not a rush.



No comments: