Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Salt Museum

This past weekend, Alex and I went to Onondaga Lake Park to go for a run. He runs a LOT longer and farther than I do, so I had some time to kill while I waited for him to finish. I'd never been inside the Salt Museum before, so I thought I'd see what it was all about.

Onondaga Lake is a fresh water lake, so the salt water was taken from springs around the lake. The water (aka "brine") was poured into these kettles and boiled over a huge fire pit. Salt crystals were formed on the top of the boiling water, removed and set aside in baskets to dry and then stored for a couple of weeks before it was shipped.

This "guy" was making wooden barrels, where the salt was stored for shipping. The Salt Museum was interesting. It was a quick self-guided tour, a little bit of learning, a little bit of history. For those who don't know, Syracuse is known as the "salt city". Back in the days of the Erie Canal, Syracuse supplied the entire country with salt.

Here's an image of Onondaga Lake, taken from the Salt Museum. (I turned it B&W...) It was a lovely day at the lake on Sunday, and it was nice to get out and learn something new about the town I live in.

1 comment:

Beth in NEPA said...

Do you remember when we went to the island of Anguilla and we saw all the salt piles? Some where I have a picture of you standing on one. It looked like a mound of snow to us.