Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Hit the Ground Running

Yesterday morning I had just dropped Alex off at school and was planning my day when I received a phone call from my new employer. Wondering if per chance I'd be able to come in a little earlier. As in that day. As in the day before I was supposed to start my new job. Apparently, there was a "print emergency" for the cover of their bi-monthly magazine. They didn't have one. At least not one that they liked. And it was to go to print today. By noon.

So, being the good future-employee that I am, I agreed to go in that afternoon. After my planned trip to the gym to go swimming. (I'll get to that in a moment.) I went to WCNY around 2:30, immediately went into a meeting with the folks in charge of the magazine. Got a feeling for what they were looking for. Then went to my new office to try to turn on my new computer that I'd never touched. I knew where nothing was. Didn't even know the password to log on! But by 5:00, I'd found a template for a layout and had started working on some concepts.

I worked a little at home last night, searching for images (Thank you Eric for your awesome Fair pictures!!) I worked up a little mock-up at home, saved it to a thumb drive and took it to my "first" day of work this morning.

By noon, the cover for the July/August edition of "CNY Connected" was on its way to the printer, with the GM's seal of approval. And I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. But, I think it was a good thing. I got in and I immediately got to work. And I proved my "worth" within the first few hours. The rest of my day was relatively quiet. I filled out paper work, cleaned and set up my new desk, had a meeting with the new boss, and even had lunch with my husband. Not a bad first day.

And about that swim... it needs some serious work. I didn't drown though, so that's a plus! I'm pretty sure I can get through a 1/4 mile swim, but my strokes aren't exactly pretty. Oh, and I did a couple of laps on my back... and ended up hitting my head on the side of the pool. Yeah. That hurt. I've got to check the pool schedule and find out when I can get back for some more training...

No comments: