Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Disappointment

I was at Barnes & Noble the other night and thought I would try out my Nook in the Cafe. It was my understanding that you could read books for free while you were at a Barnes and Noble. So I got myself a coffee and sat down at a table. And proceeded to download "William and Kate, A Royal Love Story." I'm a sucker for a Biography. Especially one about the Royals.

As I was downloading the book, the Nook told me that I was only allowed to read for "up to 60 minutes per day" for free. Well, I guess that was ok, I hadn't planned on staying long enough to read an entire book. I figured I would read as much as I could and go back another day and finish it. Well, 16 pages into the book, it locked me out. My "free" reading time was over. I think it lasted all of 5 minutes. Seriously? I could just go over, pick up the actual book and read the entire thing right there. I don't understand why it did that, and I'm not very pleased about it. And stupid me, I was already hooked by the 16th page, so I ended up just buying it. (Eric had given me a gift card for Valentine's Day...) I guess their ploy worked on me, get 'em hooked and they'll buy it. But I'm still very disappointed by it and don't understand why you can't read forever while you're there. Because really, the actual book is right there.

Has anyone else tried to read a book for free at B&N with a Nook? I'm just curious if anyone else has had the same problem... I still love my Nook, but I'm pretty annoyed with Barnes & Noble.

1 comment:

Beth in NEPA said...

Time to ask some questions at the Nook desk..............