Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Weekend

I went back to the Farmer's Market this weekend. This was my haul. Alex has returned from his summer travels, so he'll help me eat all the fresh veggies. I got 2 zucchini, 1 squash, 1 red onion, 6 tomatoes, lettuce, 4 ears of corn, some broccoli and a big batch of green beans.

I found a great broccoli salad recipe, which I would love to share. I've made it twice now. Alex even liked it. (Paula: This like the salad we had at Kelly's birthday party. It's SO good!)



Broccoli Salad:

Ingredients:
8 slices bacon
2 heads fresh broccoli, chopped
1 1/2 cups sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 large red onion, chopped
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/8 cup white sugar
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

Directions: Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, and crumble. In a large bowl, combine broccoli, cheese, bacon and onion. Prepare the dressing in a small bowl by whisking together the red wine vinegar, sugar, pepper, salt, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Combine dressing with salad. Cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Also this weekend, we started looking at these... Pellet Stoves! We have an appointment tomorrow for an estimate. I'm looking forward to a much warmer winter.... maybe...

3 comments:

Beth said...

My next door neighbor has one and really likes it. But in the winter the garage is full of bags of pellets. so you have to make room,

Veggies look yummy.

Linnette said...

I have some broccoli I need to use up. I am going to make this right now!

Amanda said...

How did you like the broccoli salad??