Sunday, February 15, 2009

Crockpot Sunday


Today we used a crockpot not only for dinner, but for dessert too. For dinner we had pulled pork and dessert was a tasty chocolate fondue...

I need to thank my friend Rebecca for the idea to make pulled pork. I've always loved the Dinosaur BBQ pulled pork sandwiches at the Fair, but I've never thought to actually try to make it myself.

I got a 2 1/2 lb boneless pork roast loin from Wegmans today. Then I boiled it in the crockpot on high for 5 hours. I used a mixture of water and Sprite. (I got that idea online.) Rebecca used beer for hers, which also probably would have been amazing, but with the kids eating it, I thought they might not like the taste.

After the 5 hours, I drained the liquid and then pulled the pork apart with a fork. It pretty much fell apart. Once I was done with that, I poured in about a 1/2 bottle of BBQ sauce, mixed it up and cooked it again for another hour. It was amazing. I loved it. As a matter of fact, I think everybody liked it, there were 4 clean plates at the table. That's a very rare thing for us!

You can either eat the pulled pork on its own or put it in a nice roll. We also served baked beans and french fries with the sandwiches.

And for dessert, we had chocolate fondue! A new family favorite. We tried strawberries, bananas and marshmallows. The chocolate was made from 4 Hershey chocolate bars and some milk. I used the small crockpot for this and it only took about 20 minutes for the chocolate to melt. I just mixed it up and it was ready to go.

Sooo delicious!

No comments: