Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Fun with Facebook


Is there anyone out there who is not on Facebook? I mean seriously. Anyone? I don't remember exactly when I joined, but it was awhile ago. I remember thinking that the "Poke" and the "Super Poke" applications were fun. And occasionally I would change my status or email an old friend. But that was really about it.

Until recently.

In the last 6 months Facebook has multiplied by millions. And possibly billions or trillions of users. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating. It does seem like the Facebook trend has really taken off though. I love that there are so many people from my past and present that I can communicate with, with just a touch of a button. I love that my mom can follow my status whenever she wants, or that my best friend from 1st grade can post an old photo of me that makes me double over in laughter.

I think the thing I love the most is that I can follow the lives of so many of my old friends and family members without having to talk to any of them. Not that I don't enjoy talking to them, but you know what I mean, right? It's so simple to check on someone without having to bother them. I can log into Facebook and within 5 minutes, I am updated on the lives of every single person I know.

Some of the things I would not know if it weren't for Facebook:

1. Julia P. just got back from Florida. (And I saw photos too!)
2. Chad L. just ran a marathon.
3. Michelle G. doesn't like orange cheese. But Mike C. does.
4. Amy R. is sad that she's too old to sell her eggs for profit.
5. Gary R. owed 40 cents on an over-due library book.
6. Rebecca B. has a superhero steam cleaning her carpets.
7. Tim T. gave up Facebook for Lent.
8. Jason B. is on his way to Vegas to work the next Nascar race.

I think the best part of Facebook is that it makes me feel like I'm part of all these people's daily lives in some strange, tiny little way. And maybe that's what makes it so fun.

5 comments:

Beth in NEPA said...

Well, your brother isn't!!!!

Amanda said...

It's not from lack of trying on my part! He's far too busy though... sigh...

elle m kay said...

I always say that facebook is like a mini-blog for those who can't be bothered to maintain an actual blog. It's that whole 'keeping up w/people's lives w/out actually talking to them' thing that's so fantastic... and addictive! Love technology!

Amanda said...

I like your mini-blog analogy, LK! It's so true!

Anonymous said...

I agree!I Love facebook too! Dan thinks I am addicted, but I am not a real phone person, and it's a good quick easy way to stay in touch!