Sunday, October 19, 2008

What a Crock


Earlier this week a friend sent me a few links to her favorite blogs. I enjoy reading blogs and there was one in particular that I'm really enjoying. It's called "A Year of Crockpotting". The blog writer made a resolution to use her crock pot every single day in 2008. That's quite a hefty undertaking! I too love the crock pot, but every day? I'm not sure I could do it. I do seem to use it about once a week though. And today was a crock pot day. I made a good ol' fashioned Sunday Pot Roast. I thought I'd try to create a blog posting using the technique of the "Year of Crockpotting" blogger.



The ingredients.

Top Round Roast (1-2 lbs)
1 onion, sliced
3 beef bouillon cubes
3-4 cups hot water
Several dashes of Cavendar's Greek Seasoning
Salt & pepper to taste




The directions.

Pour the hot water into the crock pot. Dissolve the bouillon in the water, stirring to make sure it dissolves well. Add the roast. Sprinkle the onions around. Leaving a few on top of the roast. Then sprinkle the Cavendar's Greek Seasoning on top of the roast, and add salt & pepper if you like. Cook on low for 6 hours.

At about the 6 hour mark, I took off the string that was holding it together and I sliced the roast. Then I let it cook for another hour or so. I served this with homemade mashed potatoes and buttered corn. We also like to sprinkle shredded cheese over the meat & potatoes. (Idea borrowed from the "Hot Beef Sundaes".) I had also bought some nice Pillsbury Biscuits today at the grocery store to go with the meal, but unfortunately I forgot to make them.

The verdict.
This is where the finished product photo is supposed to go. We were all so hungry, we dove right into the meal, and I forgot to take any photos. As usual, the roast was very good. I highly recommend trimming all the fat before cooking. I made some gravy out of the juice too. But you can just use the juice if you'd rather. It's still tasty and it's much easier than making gravy.

1 comment:

Beth in NEPA said...

oooohhh that sounds good. I will have to try it.