Monday, August 17, 2009

Must (Not) See TV

A little over a year ago we moved into our new home. We signed up for Time Warner Cable, and got their 1-Year Introductory offer of $39/month for Digital Cable. Our year is up, and now they want to charge us $65/month for the same exact service. I called to ask if we could down-size to just the standard cable. Much to my surprise, it's the same price as Digital Cable. And according to the not-so-very-nice salesman on the phone, it's the same because "elderly people find the digital cable box hard to use, so they charge the same for both"... which made absolutely no sense to me. Does it make sense to you?? I think he was feeding me a lot of bull... not to mention, that was kind of mean!

So our options to stay with Time Warner Cable are to suck it up and pay the $65/mo to watch about 25 of the 200 channels that we get, or pay $9/mo to get about 12 channels. There are no in between choices.

We're now currently looking into what sorts of Satellite TV packages are available, either with Dish Network or DirecTV. FIOS isn't available yet... and there aren't really any other options, aside from installing a giant antennae on the roof and using a digital converter box. (Which I think would be Eric's choice!) But I "need" my HGTV, TLC and Food Network... and Alex "needs" his ESPN.. and Kelsey "needs" her Disney channel... and I'd bet that Eric would really miss his SciFi Network if it suddenly wasn't there anymore... so what should we do?? Any suggestions?

No comments: