Sunday, March 15, 2009

Potato Soup


These spices are our favorites. We use them in just about everything. Sometimes just one, sometimes all three. But always at least one...

Today I made a big pot of potato soup... I don't follow a recipe, I just make it up as I go along. And I used all three of the spices pictured above. This is the recipe, to the best of my recollection:

Melt 2 tbsp butter in a large pot over medium heat.
Add 1 tsp of all the above spices.
Mix until butter has melted.
Add 1 can of Campbells Cream of Potato Soup and mix well.
Add 1 can (use the soup can) of half & half and mix well.
Add 2 cans of 2% milk, mix.
Add 1 chicken bouillon cube, dissolved in about 1/4 cup of water.
Mix into the soup.
Cut up about 5-6 medium potatoes into small pieces.
Add potatoes to soup mixture.
Sprinkle more (about 1 tsp) of the Cavender's Greek Seasoning.
Stir.
Cook on medium heat until bubbly.
Turn to low heat for about an hour.
Stir frequently.
Add about 2-3 tbsp bacon bits to soup. (Real ones are better.)
Mash some of the potatoes in the pot to help thicken the soup.

I then spooned soup into bowls, added some shredded cheddar cheese and more bacon bits to the top of the soup. Served with rolls. It was deeeeelicious!

For dessert we had iced sugar cookies with shamrock sprinkles in honor of St Patrick's Day on Tuesday. (I doubt any cookies will be left by then...)


1 comment:

Beth in NEPA said...

Hooray for Cavenders!!
And the soup looks yummy.