Monday, July 12, 2010

Brown Thumb

Remember this fun Sago Palm that Alex got for me?

It doesn't seem to be doing very well. I have no idea why. Over-watering maybe? I didn't think I have been over-watering it. I only water the plants in the house once a week. I noticed the leaves were turning yellowish a couple of days ago. Now they're sagging.

It says it's a "resilient" plant that wants minimal attention. Sounded like my kind of plant! Apparently it was wrong. Or maybe my once a week watering was too much attention? Any ideas from the gardeners who read my blog??

1 comment:

Dale said...

OH NO! Wash the leaves off with soapy water and rinse well in case it has insects. Have you given it any fertilizer since you owned it?Is it located where it will get a lot of light? It might need to be closer to a south or west window. I suggest leaving it out on the deck (close to the house in case of wind) while you're on vacation: if it looks better when you get home then bring it inside. If it looks worse, pull it out of the pot and look for insects/grubs in the roots. If that's not the problem, trim the foliage off the top, give it some fertilizer, put it in a sunny location and try again!