Saturday, January 3, 2009

Tasty Pot Pie


Last night we had a very yummy chicken pot pie for dinner. I used a recipe from my Betty Crocker Cookbook. It was pretty easy and everybody loved it. So this counts for one of my cookbook recipes for the month. It doesn't however count for trying to be healthy... but that wasn't one of my goals. So the 685 calories/47 gr. fat per serving... doesn't matter!


The Ingredients
1 pkg frozen peas and carrots (I used fresh baby carrots only, cut up)
1/3 cup butter or stick margarine
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup chopped onions
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup milk
2 1/2 to 3 cups cut-up cooked chicken or turkey
Pastry for 9-inch Two-Crust Pie


Directions

Rinse veggies in cold water to separate; drain. Melt butter in 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, onion, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in broth and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in chicken and peas and carrots; remove from heat.
Heat oven to 425°. Make pastry. Roll two-thirds of the pastry into 13-inch square. Ease into ungreased square pan, 9 x 9 x2 inches. Pour chicken mixture into pastry-lined pan. Roll remaining pastry into 11-inch square. Cut out designs with 1-inch cookie cutter. Place square over chicken mixture. Arrange cutouts on pastry. Turn edges of pastry under and flute. Bake about 35 minutes or until golden brown.



I cut out fun little hearts from cookie cutters with the remainder of the pie crust and set them on top of the pot pie. Alex really liked that.


So very good! The pot pie was a huge hit. Everybody devoured their helping... and Eric went back for seconds. Good thing he didn't see that calorie count!

Also, in other "goal" news... I watched another movie. (That's 3!) "Burn After Reading". I LOVED it. It was very funny. I really wasn't sure what to expect, didn't know the storyline, but it was a very nice surprise. Not normally a Brat Pitt fan at all, I actually kind of enjoyed his stupid-guy role. It was a quirky, fun little movie.


4 comments:

rb said...

that looks good, and i don't even like pot pie! i think i like the hearts best. i also really liked burn after reading. i like those cohen brothers.

Amanda said...

I think I should watch more cohen bros. movies... I like them too.

Jessie Geroux said...

yup yup I'm making your pot pie AGAIN.. YUMMO! I linked to it on my blog (Im in AZ) so you may have some hits on here this week ;-) Especially when I make it as I will need to log in 1 times to check the recipe..I suppose I could just click print LOL Happy NOvember!!

Amanda said...

Too funny! I saw that you had linked to that once before. It really is the best pot pie recipe!! (I got it from Betty Crocker...) Thanks for the link! And enjoy the pot pie... I think we should all make this with Turkey leftovers after Thanksgiving!