Thursday, May 7, 2009

Show Us Where You Live Friday: The Living Room

I had so much fun last week participating in "Show Us Where You Live Friday". Week 2 is under way, with a tour of Living Rooms. Be sure to check KellysKorner for MANY more Living Rooms. And thank you Kelly for hosting such a fun activity!

We moved into our home 10 months ago. The 1st "major" thing we did was replace the flooring in our living room. I just love it! And I love this room because it is so open with a wonderfully high ceiling. (We got to have a 9' Christmas Tree this year!) The one thing I've been nervous about in this room is paint. The walls are white and it bothers me. It needs color and new artwork. Maybe some of you can help me with some ideas?? See below after the tour for some ideas I've had. I'd love to get some input! (You can click on all of the photos to see them larger.)

I love the large window seat and the big window that brings in so much light. I've also never been one to put my furniture flat up against a wall, I like to use all of the space I'm given. Oh and this is the most comfortable chair on the planet.

We have a combined living room/dining room. Here is a sneak peek into the dining room, just beyond the couch. See how high and blank that wall/ceiling is? It needs some color!

I bought this old "strawberry crate" at a local flea market. I love finding fun treasures at the Flea Market!

And what's a Living Room tour without a photo of the cute dog who was following me around while I took photos? Meet Jenny. She's our 2 1/2 year old Welsh Corgi. She loves running through the living room and sliding on the wood floors...

I love the design on the pillows that came with the couch.

This is the view of the piano and the upstairs from the living room. You can see the open floor plan here really well and the sky light. And you can see that we really need to put some color on the walls!!

Ok. And this is where I need some input from visitors! I took an image of the living room, brought it into photoshop and played with some new wall colors. The room really needs some color!! What do you think? A sage green....

Or maybe a rusty red/orange??

Or perhaps you have some other ideas? I'd love to hear them!! I think the size of that back wall just scares me, but it definitely needs some improvement!


And before I go, here is our Family Room, it is on the other side of the house from the Living Room. We painted this room a tan color. This is the room where we spend most of our time. And it's also the view from the kitchen. (And my husband is on the couch watching TV!)

Thanks for taking the tour of our living room & family room. Now head back on over to KellysKorner for more wonderful rooms and maybe some inspiration too!

22 comments:

Malinda said...

Thanks for the comment. I like the rust color.

amanda said...

the green makes the room seem bigger. the rust makes it seem a bit smaller. but i really like them both!

Green Mountain Living said...

Wow I like the green...it makes the wood floors stand out, I think the rust blends with the floors to much. Very pretty space, nice and open...nice window seat.

Mommyto3andahusky said...

I love the sage green! :)

Mrs. Case said...

I LOVE your corgi-he's (she's???) beautiful.

I also love your over-sized chair and the pattern on its pillows.

Michelle said...

I love the green and I'm in love with your little dog...Jenny is very cute. I remember my aunt having those types of dogs growing up.

My son's name is Hayden - It's a surname in my family.

Thanks for the peek !!

Meggie said...

I have to comment - my little corgi, Dixie, is snuggled next to me right now as I look through all the living rooms! :) They are great puppies, aren't they?

I vote for the rust, but I can't help myself (Hook em, horns!). The green is very pretty too, though. We used a rust color in our "study" - Benjamin Moore Audobon Russet. I love it!

Debbie said...

Just a little color would do wonders to cozy it up even more. I love the green. Debbie

Unknown said...

I was thinking more of a NUTMEG than the orangy-more of a brown to it. I dig it! Yes, you need color :) LOVE YOUR SPACE

Pam Bowers said...

very nice.

Watts Family said...

I think I like the green color. How cool is photoshop!! Good luck with the decision. It's amazing what a little color will do. My neighbor had to help me in that department! Have a Happy Mother's Day!

The Carpenter's said...

I love the green!!

Chelsa said...

i love the rust color!

Unknown said...

I like the view from above and the basket with magazines :-) thanks for having us!

Gullett Circus said...

I love the rust color! I wish I was that brave! Looks like a cozy place to read a book!

Kelley said...

I love the colors of your house! The rust color is so bold and I really like it. Your house is so warm and welcoming!

Anonymous said...

This color is also very nice, it's called Tobacco road

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg010953514068.html

AF

 The Morris Family said...

I like the rust:) I did not do a LR this time but I have enjoyed looking at all the others!!
Cindy

Lynn said...

Love the green! Really like how you've decorated your home. This August will be 1 year we've lived in our new home and we're still trying to decide what pictures to hang and where and how to situate our furniture in the family room. I'm thoroughly enjoying viewing the different decorating ideas!

Sar(Mrs.Teddy) said...

what a nice home! The floors are beautiful! I think teh green woudl look great. There was another livign room on the tour with a pretty grey colour that would be nice as well! I think it takes well over a eayr in a home to get it how you want it, we are still in the process as well! Thanks for sharing!

Just me~Bobbie Jo said...

Love the green color. Your house is cute!

Laura said...

We have a 2 1/2 year old Corgi, too!! Her name is Ella Bess...have you ever seen any of Tasha Tudor's art or books? Lots of corgis!!